BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Where I've Wandered


View Where I've Wandered in a larger map

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bogota to Buenos Aires

This is a new section that (hopefully) consists of rapid fire posts from our way heading south from Bogota, Colombia to Buenos Aires, Argentina. Here we go:

They say that half of the adventure is just getting there.
They are wrong.
It is the adventure!
We hopped a milk truck bus (so called because they are constantly stopping to let people on and off) for our Cali to Ipiales leg of the journey. After six long sleepless hours I finally nod off to a dubbed Steven Segal film. I blink awake to a warm sensation on my right arm. I look back to the wide eyed faces of the passengers behind me. My first assumption is that something has broken on the bus, spewing warm water or oil down my arm. I was WRONG. My eyes come to focus on a girl sputtering vomit from her nose and mouth in the seat behind me, the hair of the woman beside me sopping with chunks. A swerving halt into a small town, quick wash, a passenger swap and Andrea has a rooster under her seat which seems to think its dawn. Darkness drops its curtain over the Panamerican highway. The bus lights dance across the black polished hard plastic equipment of police in full riot gear, helmeted eyes staring through the clear windows of their shields. Flash bangs pop Andrea awake and disperse the crowd from the side of the road. Semi-truck drivers have filled a parking lot, on strike, protesting, and from the looks of things relieving several bottles of cerveza from their duties. The scene fades into a blur. Only 3 more hours to the border!

0 comments: